- Implement a new bio-prospecting paradigm of bringing screens to nature not nature to screens, thereby preventing the biological materials used in the initial screening from leaving the country and assuring full compliance with international treaties.
- Develop simple, portable and predictive assays that can be used in the field eliminating the need for moving biological materials out of the source country. Some of the currently available screens include:
- Glucosidase and glucosidase inhibitors
- Amylases and amylase inhibitors
- Proteases and protease inhibitors
- Anti-microbial (2 screens)
- Anti-fungal (2 screens)
- Anti-flat worms
- Tyrosinase inhibitors
- UV blockers
- Total alkaloids
- Total anthocyanins / polyphenols
- Brine shrimp lethality assay
- Planaria regeneration assay
- DNA repair assay
- Develop innovative, high-content, rapid, and reliable lead validation assays compatible with extracts and other multi-component mixtures. Initially concentrate on the following clinical targets:
- Use state-of-the-art technology and methods to validate botanical and other natural product leads from the
participating countries and assist in their commercialization.
- Initiate pre-clinical development using “reverse flow” approach.
- Optimize cultivation, standardization and manufacturing.
- Develop an inventory of the world’s natural product resources and their source organisms.
- Establish a comprehensive database of the world’s medicinal plants and conduct their bio-inventory.
- Develop and implement strategies for protecting and documenting existing biodiversity.
- Strengthen the ability of local governments and institutions to protect their intellectual property and to meet their
treaty obligations under the Convention on Biological Diversity and WTO’s Trade Related Intellectual Property
- Adopt aggressive publication strategy and participation in the national and international scientific meetings.
- Further develop Fairbrothers Plant Resources Center (FPRC) to become a major depository for biodiversity samples